1. Health
Cathy Wong, ND

Natural Help for Gray Hair?

By March 12, 2008

A reader asks, "I recently heard about supplements and other products that can prevent gray hair and allow your hair to grow back in its natural color. Is there any truth in these products or are they bogus? Thanks for any input".

Unfortunately, there is no scientific evidence that any diet, herb, supplement, or natural product can prevent or reverse gray hair, however, there are some underlying conditions that can cause hair to go prematurely gray and some ancient approaches you might be interested in.

Each one of us has a genetically predetermined time when our hair will begin to turn gray. Although nothing can stop this, there are some conditions that can cause hair to gray earlier or more quickly than normal, such as thyroid disorders, vitamin B12 deficiency, and vitiligo.

In traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India, premature gray hair reflects an underlying disturbance. Read the full answer: Natural Help for Gray Hair?
Comments
February 16, 2007 at 1:01 pm
(1) Joe says:

I’ve heard that lack of certain minerals can cause premature graying. Copper is one.

February 20, 2007 at 10:53 am
(2) John Turnbull says:

Hello Cathy,
Your reader asks a serious question and hope you will pass this unbiased comment. I use a product called YoutHair from Sales@nomoregray.com It is entirely successful. My friends, blonde, sandy, auburn and myself (black) now grey use the same bottle of Youth Hair and our natural colour is very adequately restored. So it is NOT a dye or colouring agent, but it DOES work. I assure you I have no connection with the company and it is NOT cheap(nor too dear!) and I paid the full price and am more than pleased. I hope your reader finds this helpful.
(reader may contact me at jackpotluck@sapo.pt)

Yours sincerley….John Turnbull

February 20, 2007 at 12:39 pm
(3) Kenneth says:

choline and inositol will prevent your hair from turning grey; however it will not reverse grey hair.

February 20, 2007 at 7:01 pm
(4) Renee says:

Can you believe this… I am 57 years young! I have ONE gray hair on each side of my temples. The third I pulled out, and it never came back again! My hair is still medium brown – all over. I have also been on Synthroid (Thyroid medication) since the birth of my son in 1983. My skin is flawless, and I have only a few noticable wrinkles! Is it genetic or just luck? You guess…

March 29, 2008 at 12:08 am
(5) robert says:

Ive heard that colloidal minerals can reverse graying, but have never tried it.

July 16, 2008 at 11:12 am
(6) Ashrer says:

Aloe Vera I think can be usefull for this problem.