Even if you'd prefer to have your old hair color back, have you learned to embrace your gray? What are the upsides of going through this hair change? Share Your Story
just went gray
- Hair is nature's accessory and you should have it the way that looks best on you. I actually look younger with my gray hair. Dye looks great at first and then it gets dull and stiff and is a ratsnest in the shower. Going gray was pure freedom but scary because most gray I see looks terrible. Mine gets many compliments though. I keep it short (although I haves seen lovely long gray hair if it's in good condition). The key is staying slender and fit, maintain good health and posture - those do far more than hair color.
I eat seaweed (Dulce and Wakame mostly) and I think it helps my hair stay silky and shiny.
Upsides - better hairstylist since all I get is a cut I can invest more. No roots!! No dry frizzy damaged hair. If you can wear it well you get noticed!
- —Guest Me
there are no upsides
- No upsides, it just makes you look old and people look at you like there is something wrong with you
- —Guest Jimbo
Action that grays hair
- I read that they've recently discovered that the folicles build up hydrogen peroxide which bleache the folicle as they grow. This is why no pheomelanin is found in the hair that has accumulated peroxide. This is probably reversible, but the answer is much more simple in the end than the natural loss of melanin.
- —Guest Andy
Reduce or reverse gray hair
- I have been eating a high nutrient, vegan diet now for 5 months and belong to a support group doing the same. The amazing thing a lot of us our finding out is that we are getting our natural hair color back! Perhaps it's the chloraphyll in all the greens we are eating?
- —Guest Kathy
- Sage can help, 2 or 3 capsules a day and it will reverse the process. its not gonna happen over night though and you have to be patience. Maybe a year or so depending on how much gray hair you have
- —Guest John
Greeting my grays with grace.
- In April of 2010, I had decided enough coloring. I was tired o f my hair falling out, tired of the color only staying in two weeks. It's my hair, and it was going to be healthy again. I told myself that by my 50th birthday I would be fully gray. Well my 49th birthday has just passed (8/6) and It is now the end of August and I am fully gray.
First of all I keep it very short. I have always loved ultra short hair.
First I would say find a hairstyle that you would love to try. Whether you go short, or grow it out. Make sure that it's trimmed according to your hair's length.
Next is shampoo and conditioner. Keep the grays in tip top condition. Use a several shampoos if you have to. My faves are Pantene Ice (will bring out the whites), Aussie Shampoo and Conditioners, and Pantene clarifying to rid your hair of styling products that can make the gray look dull. And now I get compliments all the time. Women will come up to me and Say "I want to try that".....good luck