Our minds and bodies are constantly processing food, drink, thoughts, and emotions. In our 100 miles-per-minute world, we can easily feel overwhelmed.
I'd like you to take one day every week or month to stop and clear the mental and physical burden. Here are 5 tips on how to create a spa cleansing day at home:
1) Take a Technology Break
- Make it a low-tech day. Keep your television, computer, Blackberry, and cellphone turned off.
- Go for a walk in the park. Find a quiet place and try these Two Meditation Techniques with step-by-step instructions.
- Attend a yoga class in your neighborhood
- Stretch at home
- Get a skipping rope
2) Try Tongue Scraping
Start your day by gently scraping your tongue (don't worry, it doesn't hurt!). In Ayurveda, tongue coating is called "ama" and reflects metabolic debris. Tongue scrapers can be purchased in a drug store or health food store for a few dollars. They are an effective way of removing the thick coating and ama toxins.
3) Take Care of Your Body
Instructions on how to do a Dry Brush Exfoliation.
Learn how to take a contrast shower to boost circulation and energy. Step-by-step instructions on Contrast Showers.
4) Detox Your Body
- Read 5 Tips for Getting Enough Water
- A cold weather cleansing tea is Ginger Tea with the juice of a lemon wedge.
- If you are a coffee drinker, switch to green tea for your detox day. Read How to Brew a Perfect Cup of Green Tea
- Learn how to make an alkaline vegetable broth for improved enzyme and cellular metabolism and general cleansing and detox. Alkaline Broth Recipe
5) Cleanse Your Mind
On your cleansing day, try to take steps to free yourself of the past hurts and worries that continue to live with you. Start a personal ritual, such as writing a letter (your don't have to send it!) to get out all your feelings. Or buy a beautiful journal to give yourself a regular outlet for all your emotions, regrets, and worries. Don't push these emotions away. Harness them and move on as a smarter person.