1. Health
Cathy Wong, ND

Trigger Point Therapy for Back Pain

By April 25, 2012

More than 26 American adults frequently experience low back pain, according to the American Academy of Pain Medicine. To find relief, many people turn to trigger point therapy. Practiced by many types of healthcare providers (including medical doctors, osteopaths, and massage therapists), trigger point therapy involves detecting and releasing trigger points (spots in the skeletal muscle that produce pain when compressed).

Although research on the use of trigger point therapy in treatment of back pain is fairly limited, several studies show that combining trigger point therapy with other healing approaches may help alleviate chronic low back pain. For more help in treating chronic backaches, consider alternative therapies like acupuncture and chiropractic care. There's also some evidence that taking up a regular yoga practice may benefit your back. Read the article: Trigger Point Therapy for Back Pain

Comments
May 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm
(1) Jamie says:

You might want to look at your first sentence…unless I am misreading it…

May 1, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(2) altmedicine says:

Thanks, Jamie. I added the missing “million”. :)

May 7, 2012 at 3:32 am
(3) Jack Woo says:

There has been a lack of consistent methodology for diagnosis of trigger points and theory to explain how it arises and why they produce specific patterns of this so called referred pain.
For the layman, a simple a deep tissue massage therapy may be more relaxing and effective for relieving back pain.

May 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm
(4) howtolivehappily says:

My personal experience is, that I get lower back pain when I sit down for a prolonged period of time. It feels like the muscles at the bottom of my spine get tired and sore.

Conversely, I end up feeling really good when I get up and walk.

This wasn’t always the case. It took me considerable time to correct my posture – so that I can stand and move in an easy and efficient way.

While building strength, stretching, and trying to stand in a “correct” way do have their merits, they are not sufficient. I needed a way to tap into the intelligence of my body and release unconscious tensions, that were interfering with my posture.

I feel that I’ve made considerable improvements. Living in my body has become really pleasant. Here’s how I did it.

June 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm
(5) Tim Banks says:

Constant exercise will help you with your back pain , stretching been very helpful to me . I am walking adventurist and I do stretching before and somewhere in the middle of the session .

June 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm
(6) Allison K says:

Trigger point therapy has great results when combined with Chiropractic care. If one only receives trigger point therapy then the muscle adhesions can be broken up but they will soon return. Chiropractic care can prevent this by setting the subluxated bone back in its proper position through a specific and gentle adjustment of the spine. A subluxated bone is when the bones the spine have moved slightly out of place causing nerve interference to the nervous system. This nerve interference along with tight muscles that have developed from the rotated vertebra will apply stress to the perispinal musculature. This stress will cause spasms of the musculature and a chemical release of toxins that eventually cause trigger points to form. Chiropractic care is needed to completely remove trigger points and prevent them from returning.

July 19, 2012 at 7:12 am
(7) samh says:

Good article – I also found this place great for Back Pain Treatment York.

October 9, 2012 at 5:49 am
(8) back pain says:
August 1, 2013 at 3:49 am
(9) Donna says:

Dr. Wong ,

My daughter has Turners Syndrome and Madelung’s Deformity. The MD is very bad in her wrist, has had a surgery which made it worse.
We are desperate to find some relief for her joints, her joints crack like the worst twig breaking all day, her ankles her elbows her shoulders very very loud where you can hear them three rooms away…and painful.
She’s on growth hormone , estrogen and takes calcium daily but I think there’s got to be something more to help her.

Thank you.